I keep trying to blog about everything else, but the obvious, you know the election, the Wall Street crash, the federal reserve? Even just the topic of politics in general. But I can’t hold back any longer. And, I think that’s why some of my friends like me, I speak my mind.

First, the election, like most people I’m not happy with the candidates that we currently have to choose from. I’ve previously voted both Democrat and Republican and every time I’ve been mostly dissatisfied with my vote because regardless of who I voted for, I always had complaints and it seems the issues that I hold near and dear were never touched. So, once again I’ll vote for someone I’m not overly happy with but it will once again be either a Democrat or a Republican because, if I can speak candidly, voting for third party candidates doesn’t do crap. Now, it would if one of those third party people were more widely supported, and how I wish that were the case this year! Frankly, I would love to still vote Ron Paul, but alas, he withdrew so he won’t even be on the ballot. Maybe I should take reversevampyr’s idea and vote Cthulhu!

Enough on the election, I’ve talked about it more in that one paragraph alone than I have since JOBAMA and McPalin made their debuts. Which by the way, I did a search on twitter search and the moniker JOBAMA has been used quite a bit and I didn’t see the actual originator of the name listed on there, the ever awesome @Paisano! That’s probably why he’s not on the blasted search. The originators of all things cool never get props!

Moving on, let’s talk about this AIG bailout, as the news is calling it. The first question that popped into my head (which I find now has been repeated on the news) is, “Wow, I wonder if the Enron guys are pissed?” Sure they are! How come they didn’t get bailed out? And frankly, I’m a little pissed that my tax dollars are going to fund some company that just basically didn’t know how to practice good business. I love how the blame is going back and forth from the Democrat Congress and the Bush Administration – it’s always the fault of the other! You know, the real issue here comes down to two things: no accountability and judgment calls. Judgment calls come into play by those who decide to bail one company out and not others. There’s a ton of insider information that we as average citizens are not privy too, and that’s fine. But when tax payer dollars are used to do this, then all that insider information should be transparent to the people who are funding it, not the government, not the Feds and not Congress. It should be transparent to you and to me, it’s our wallets that are buying these companies out and have you ever looked at who AIG really is? Do a little research on them (maybe I’ll save that for another political rant in the future), it’s a little scary. So, now we have Wall Street panicking, the Dow dropping and businesses totally freaking out. No wonder people are nervous all the time!

See? This is exactly why I don’t talk about this stuff all the time. Here I am, ten minutes into a post and I’m already getting worked up. Pulse is racing, mind is going into overdrive!

Here’s the deal, at least in my eyes. There are so many things that the average person cannot control. There are so many things that the average person should not control! Let’s focus on the ones we can and start making small differences every day until we can influence the big ones. And in the meantime, try not to get your blood pressure skyrocketing over the small stuff and save it for when you really need to, it’s just not healthy.

Now you all know the answer to the question of "Why I watch Reality TV", because seriously it's not quite as real as anything else going on!

3 comments :

Jaime said...

I totally agree with you on the points about the bailout and the choice in presidential candidates. It seems the choices are always just lukewarm and there's no absolutely stellar pick in either direction.

As for the AIG bailout, headlines should be re-written to say something like "Taxpayers Save AIG."

Reverse_Vampyr said...

(thanks for the link, btw)

This whole mess is the end result of Democrats' social experimentation under the guise of "making the American Dream more accessible." Investor's Business Daily gets into it: http://tinyurl.com/5kac3v

"But it was the Clinton administration, obsessed with multiculturalism, that dictated where mortgage lenders could lend, and originally helped create the market for the high-risk subprime loans now infecting like a retrovirus the balance sheets of many of Wall Street’s most revered institutions.

Tough new regulations forced lenders into high-risk areas where they had no choice but to lower lending standards to make the loans that sound business practices had previously guarded against making. It was either that or face stiff government penalties.

The untold story in this whole national crisis is that President Clinton put on steroids the Community Redevelopment Act, a well-intended Carter-era law designed to encourage minority homeownership. And in so doing, he helped create the market for the risky subprime loans that he and Democrats now decry as not only greedy but 'predatory'."


Republicans, for all their faults, tried to reform oversight in 2003 and 2005 and were shut down by Democrats both times. http://tinyurl.com/6lp5qu

I am dead set against the federal bailouts. Those who made bad decisions should deal with their own consequences. And I think George Mason University's professor of economics Dr. Walter Williams hit the nail squarely on the head when he quoted English philosopher Herbert Spencer: "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools."

Mushi said...

I'm thinking of writing in Goofy.

He could do a better job, me thinks.

I'm still sore over Ron Paul. I was very much a supporter, and I'm disappointed with the two we have to chose from as well.

Post a Comment