This was my first shot at baking home made bread and it turned out so well! I didn't realize bread could be this easy. If I can make it, ANYONE can make it!

I found the recipe via pinterest which let me to The Sisters Cafe. Many thanks to them for sharing this!

Here's the recipe from their website:
Baguette
submitted by Brittany ~ http://www.www.thesisterscafe.com/
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tbs. (2 packages) dry yeast
2 tsp. sugar
3 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
In a small bowl mix the warm water with the yeast and sugar. Let it sit for about 5 minutes – foam should form on the top.
In a large mixing bowl combine the flour and salt. Gradually add the yeast mixture. Mix until the dough becomes a smooth ball and knead for 5 minutes. (I use my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook)
Cut in half and then shape into 2 baguettes. To make them smooth and pretty, roll each half of dough into rectangle and roll up lengthwise. Pinch the edges to seal and place on lightly greased cookie sheet (or silpat) with seam down. Cover and let it rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. With a very sharp knife (I like to use a serrated blade) gently make a slash down the length of each baguette. This will give it that authentic look. Pour water in a cookie sheet and place it on the bottom rack of the oven. Bake the bread for 15 minutes. Half way through, brush the bread with melted butter. **I tried it with olive oil too… it was less crispy and salty. We liked the butter a lot more!


PS: follow me on twitter: @tattooedmommie

4 comments :

Lil Mys Ninja said...

I would love to try to make bread...I'm not sure I have the patience. But this recipe didn't look too hard!

scratch-made wife said...

My boss recently told me she's "yeast intimidated" and would never make bread. I was like: "Seriously?! It's so easy!" I'm glad you had a good experience with this recipe. Homemade bread tastes so much better than the store-bought stuff, and I'm always so proud of myself when I can pull off a nice loaf. I'm sure you can agree! :)

Jonna P said...

Maria, seriously - this is entirely too easy! The longest part is just letting it sit to rise :) And like I said, if *I* can do it - ANYONE can :)

Jonna P said...

Scratch-Made Wife...
HAH! I love "yeast intimidated"! In fact, this was my first experience with bread and yeast myself. And you are absolutely right, homemade tastes so much better than store bought - especially when you can enjoy it fresh out of the oven!
I'm still working on my loaf forming, but I had two pretty ones last night and I literally tried to show it off to my husband - who then said "yes, they look great, can I eat them now?" HAH!
I love your blog by the way, the Turkey Taco Burgers are next on my "to try" list!!

Post a Comment