My boss celebrated his 13 year anniversary at work today and he loves Mountain Dew. So, once again, pinterest came to the rescue with a recipe for Mountain Dew Cupcakes.
But honestly... it has WAY too many ingredients for my culinary skill level, so I turned to handy-dandy Google and found a much more simple recipe at Nothing But Country!
Here is their recipe!
Mt. Dew Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakesCupcakes:1 box lemon cake mix
1 box of instant lemon pudding
1 1/4 cups of mountain dew
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Mix cake mix, pudding and eggs well.
- Add in your oil to the batter and mix for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in your mountain dew soda and mix for another minute.
- Add to cupcake liners and bake at 350 degrees F for 13-17 minutes (or until toothpick inserted comes out clean)
- Allow time to cool before frosting.Frosting:4 cups Confectioners Sugar
2 sticks of salted butter (room temp)
1/8 cup approx of Mountain Dew
1 tblsp of lemon juice
- Beat your butter well till smooth, slowly add in 1 cup at a time of confectioners sugar and your lemon juice & mountain dew.
- Add all of your sugar and check for thickness of the frosting. If it is too thick add a teaspoon at a time of mountain dew till you reach the correct consistency to pipe or frost your cupcakes.
Let me add, I didn't make the frosting portion I used a whipped vanilla from Duncan Hines, which I think is going to be the reason why I didn't really feel that I had the overwhelming Mountain Dew flavor. Don't get me wrong, they turned out awesome - to me they had a lemon cake/tangy flavor that was great - but I didn't bite into it and say "oh yeah, there's Mountain Dew in here"
So, next time, I'm going to make sure to actually make the frosting as well.
PS: follow me on twitter: @tattooedmommie