5 days until I receive my endowments and I get sealed to my parents. Holy hurry up batman!

I posted that on Facebook this morning because I'm super excited about it and I have gotten so much love. I've also gotten the question asking what I'm talking about. I totally forget that sometimes when I'm posting things I'm totally posting in "Mormon-Speak".

So.. I think I'm going to try to use this platform to explain, as best as I can, what all the hoopidy-doo is all about. That way my Non-Mormon folks don't feel left out of my excitement - because I want everyone to be excited and happy with me!

Ok.. so let's start shall we?
Let me preface this whole thing with saying, this has to do with my religion. I'm Mormon.

Ok so this coming Saturday, May 4th (which also happens to be my birthday!) I'll be making my first trip ever to the Temple. See, us Mormon folk have two main buildings that we use. We have our "meeting houses" which is the building we go to every Sunday for our church service (just like all the other Christians out there). Anyone and everyone can go to this building!  It also is where we do our activities like sports, fellowshipping events, etc. But I'm getting off topic.  Okay, so the second building that we use is the Temple. Temples are special and sacred places, just like the Temples back in the old days of Christianity - Temple of Moses, Solomon's Temple, etc (here are some scripture references to Temples if this stuff interests you). The differences between Temples and our Meetinghouses are that anyone and everyone can go inside the Temple when they are a worthy member.

LDS.org gives a great definition of Temples:
Temples are literally houses of the Lord. They are holy places of worship where individuals make sacred covenants with God. Because making covenants with God is such a solemn responsibility, individuals cannot enter the temple to receive their endowments or be sealed in marriage for eternity until they have fully prepared themselves and been members of the Church for at least a year. Throughout history, the Lord has commanded His people to build temples. The Church is working to build temples all over the world to make temple blessings more available for a greater number of Heavenly Father's children.

Ok. So, to become a worthy member of the Church who can enter Temples, you have to know the magic words (sorry I couldn't help myself) prepare by: Believing in Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ & the Holy Ghost, Cultivating a testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the restored gospel, Sustaining and following the living prophet, Qualifying for a temple recommend by: paying tithing, being morally clean, being honest, keeping the Word of Wisdom, and living in harmony with the teachings of the Church, Giving time, talents and means to help build the Lord's kingdom, Participating in family history work. (read more here)

I want to add in here, that if you knew me in high school or in my early 20's you're probably laughing your head off at the thought of me being worthy to enter the Temple. I'm just going to say it like this, if I can change and become who I have become..ANYONE CAN!

If you're still reading this far either you are really interested or I'm great at explaining this stuff!

source
So, yeh, Temples are sacred. A lot of people think that The Church of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormons) are secretive bunch.  A lot of that comes from the fact that members don't really talk a lot about what goes on in the Temple. There's a reason behind that (besides trying to be secretive), and I heard it explained this way in a talk once, so I'm going to use it here because I think it's the best way I've ever heard it described. There are sacred things in this world, moments that are shared between people that aren't talked about to everyone because they are sacred between those people. I like to think of it as those late night talks you have with your spouse. Those talks are intimate and special to me and my husband and I don't share them with others. Well, in the Temple, sacred ordinances are preformed and because they are special and sacred to the individual receiving those blessings, we don't talk about them outside of the temple. So, I'm not sure if that helped to put it into perspective or just clouded it, but that's the way I see it.

This is a GREAT talk on Temples and what happens there - much more in depth and better stated than I could ever do, you can watch, listen or download the article.

Ok so the first reason I'm going to the Temple to receive my endowment, which is defined as "a special spiritual blessing given to worthy and faithful members of the Church in the temple". It is a series of covenants that we make with Heavenly Father. And like all covenants with Him, we receive blessings in return for keeping those covenants.

The second reason is to be sealed to my parents. See, a beautiful thing about our faith is that we believe that families can be together forever. Not just "until death do you part". This is done by sealing. Usually, a couple is married in the Temple and is sealed for all time and eternity. And when children are born to that couple, the children are automatically sealed to their parents. But since my Mom wasn't a member of the Church when my parents were married, they only recently got sealed about 2 years ago, I wasn't sealed to them. At the time, I wasn't Temple worthy but now that I am, I'll be sealed to my parents. So, when we all decide to take the big dirt nap, our spirits will reconvene up by the pearly gates and we'll all get to hang again forever. Or something like that anyway..

Did I explain this without getting entirely too heavy? I'm not sure.. but I hope that this helps clear the air for those that don't know about Temples or some of the ordinances performed in them. There's a lot more stuff that happens in the Temple but that's for another time and blog post.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic