Remember way back when two weeks ago, when I posted abouthaving a meeting with my Bishop and I left ya’ll hanging about what it was? No? Ok, click that link and read up on it. Don’t worry I’ll wait.

<insert elevator music here>

Ok. So now that we are all on the same page I guess I should go ahead and fill you all in, because now it’s official and I can.

I got released from my Relief Society Committee and Assistant Music Director in Nursery callings and was called as the Young Women’s 2nd Counselor! I'm a  little sad because I've grown to really enjoy them. But seriously, it took me a while to grow into my Nursery calling.

Young Women General Presidency
What exactly is a 2nd Counselor in the Young Women’s presidency? Well, heck, I don’t know! I had to look it up too because remember, I didn’t grow up in the LDS church (well to be honest I didn’t grow up in any church), so I never went through the Young Women’s program. The Young Women’s (YW) program is for girls from 12-17 in the church to help them strengthen their testimonies and to help grow spiritually.  I sometimes wonder what my teen years would be like had I been able to be involved in a group like this during those crazy years. But anyhoo…

The YW classes are divided by ages. The Beehives are 12-13 year olds. The Mia Maids are 14-15 and the Laurels are 18-17 year olds. As the 2nd Counselor I’ll be working with the Beehives.  Seeing as we have a really small Young Women’s group (I believe there are maybe 8 girls total) I’m not sure how many girls are beehives but I know of one young lady who I’m excited to get to know better.

So, I’ve known about this calling for what, two weeks now? It’s been two weeks that I’ve been secretly terrified. But as soon as I stood up in sacrament I can honestly say my fear had never been greater. I am so excited to work with these girls but I’m sure they are sad to see their presidency leaving, they had gotten to know those women and were comfortable with them.

Then just like that all my middle school fears hit me and I started asking, “Will they like me?”, “Will they want to get to know me?”, “Will they think I’m just some crazy lady with tattoos?”

And those fears and questions stuck with me through Sunday school. All through the lesson I tried to concentrate on the lesson but I kept wondering what those young women were thinking right now. And finally, we went during the 3rd block to the Young Women’s room and we got to introduce ourselves.

When my turn came to introduce myself, I decided to share with them an experience I had. The Wednesday before my meeting with the Bishop, I was with two other Sisters from my ward and we were talking about our callings and callings that we think we’d really enjoy and I had shared with them that I thought it would be really cool to be involved with the young women. At that point in time I had NO IDEA that I was going to be receiving this calling. Either I had been given the want to be involved because Heavenly Father knew I was going to be involved or else I had just been given a little revelation. Either way, how cool that was. I’m not sure if they appreciated my little story or not but it sure made me feel better.
A few minutes later the new presidency was ushered out by the Bishopric to let the young women continue their classes and we went to a small classroom to be set apart. Being set apart is basically receiving a blessing. My dad was able to be one of the priesthood holders to perform the setting apart along with my Bishop and the Bishop’s 2nd Counselor. I love when my dad can be involved. I wish my husband could, but that’s a story for a whole different day.

But to the point here, there is a quote from our church’s leader, President Monson and he said “Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies”. Another strange coincidence, in last month’s Ensign (a church magazine), there was an article titled “Whom the Lord Calls He Qualifies” which I read (which may be why it was so fresh in my mind) which really hit home and reminded me that the Lord knows us each personally and He chooses us for our callings, through inspiration to our church leaders. And after being set apart, this thought about that quote was in my head and instantly, I felt better.

Yes, I was still scared and nervous but not because of feeling overwhelmed but only because this is something new. I knew it would be okay.

I’m so excited. I know this is going to be a time consuming calling and I know that in some fashion or form I will have a part in helping young women grow spiritually, so I take this calling very seriously. I’m making a commitment to myself and to these beautiful young women that I will be there for them in any way possible that I can. I hope I will be able to provide what they need.




Image and video hosting by TinyPic