This post is so completely off the cuff. I was going to put together a "High Five For Friday" post but I think this is more important.

So, I'm preparing to give a lesson this Sunday to the Young Women's group about "How do the things I say affect me and those around me?" and I all of a sudden a flood of memories and thoughts hit me.

All during my teen years and even into my 20's, the thing that got me in the most trouble was my mouth. I distinctly remember saying some things to a math teacher that I'm so ashamed of that even today, after apologizing for it, I still feel so remorseful. I remember arguments and friendships ruined over something as simple as things that were said. Rumors in school that absolutely devastated people, but were just that... words that someone had spoken (most weren't even true).

Words.

But words that can hurt don't always just come out of our mouths. They come out on the internet.
Almost 10 years ago I posted something on an online journal of mine that was mean and hurtful towards someone out of anger. I never mentioned them by name (that I remember) but that person found it and it hurt them tremendously. I remember feeling horrible afterwards and realizing that if I couldn't say it to their face, I wasn't going to post about it. Even if I thought it was a private post with only a limited audience.
I'm still trying to figure out a way to apologize for this to them.

I'm still learning.

But I've learned something since then for sure.. words can hurt or they can uplift. I have my times where my emotions get the best of me, but I've really strives to change since back then, to be a person who, if I can't say anything nice, I'll try not to say anything at all. Does it always work. No. But I'm trying.

So I just wanted to share Proverbs 31:26, "She openeth her mouth with wisdom and in her tongue is the law of kindness"

This, is how I'm trying to live.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic