It's always this time of year, during the hustle and bustle of the holidays and life in general that I always take pause and wish that life would just slow down.

The year itself has just flown by. I feel like it was only a few weeks ago I shuffled my son into his first day of 2nd grade and here I am now, trying to figure out ways to keep him occupied (and off his tablet) during Christmas break.

And now, when things are supposed to be magical and beautiful and fun, I feel more like a tornado touching down, trying to keep up with the blur of life spinning around me. Every year I say I'll do something to make things more easy, but then something else comes up... keeping me from doing that something and then not only did I not do that something to make it easier but then I have 2 more things piled on top of that.

I remember old Christmas movies, people just browsing around the stores. Now we don't have time for that, we have to get in and get out, order online and ship direct because who has time to just mosey about browsing for that perfect gift.

I used to throw on some Christmas music and spend hours decorating my tree. Enjoying it. Now, it's like a race. Get it up and get it decorated so I can move on to the next project.

Life is short and boy does it go by fast.

When I was a kid it seemed like every day lasted a lifetime! Summer vacation seemed to never end (until it ended) and laying in the grass watching the clouds go by seemed like a perfectly sensible way to spend at least an hour.

Now when I find a free hour I try to cram it full again, with everything but clouds and laying around.

I don't ever want to look back on my life and regret not doing things because I couldn't find time. But how do you minimize the things that take up the most time in your life? It's not like I can just up and quit my job. My calling at church is pretty time consuming but I really enjoy it. My hobbies.. wait, what hobbies? Hah those went out the window years ago.

It's days like today that I want to wake up, call in sick, and just slow down. Remembering to smell the hot chocolate.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic